Participatory Plant Breeding & Resilient Seed Systems Post-Grad Course Offered
January 29, 2020
Participatory Plant Breeding (PPB) & Resilient Seed Systems (RSS) will be the subject of a post-graduate course scheduled for Sunday August 16 to Friday August 21, 2020, in the Conference Centre De Werelt, Lunteren, the Netherlands.
The course’s central theme is the development of resilient seed systems with participatory breeding programs that are responsive to the needs of farmers and society as a whole. The focus is on longer-term solutions for sustainable, agroecological agriculture in the broad sense, departing from the underlying question of how to move food systems forward in the South and the North.
Key aspects of the course include:
- Concepts, strategies, methods, and experiences with decentralized and participatory approaches to plant breeding and seed system development to increase agrobiodiversity and cope with climate changes
- Governance issues such as seed quality control, property rights, co-ownership, and benefit sharing
- Specific approaches for different crop types and socioeconomic contexts
- Multi-actor approaches, collaborative learning, knowledge sharing, and networking approaches to engage food system and value chain actors in participatory plant breeding and resilient seed system programs
- The interaction of technical solutions and social choices: considering trade-offs and issues of inclusion/social equity and other values
For registration and information, go here
Dr Claudius van de Vijver (PE&RC) E-mail: email@example.com
Click here to see the flyer